Mask Mandate to Stay In Place for K-12 Louisiana Schools

Data News Staff Edited Report

BATON ROUGE, LA. — The State Board of Education announced they will not take up a second discussion of the governor’s mask mandate’s place in Louisiana schools after their first was disrupted by a crowd of maskless protesters.

This means schools in Louisiana will be required to follow Gov. John Bel Edwards’ indoor mask mandate despite an opinion from Attorney General Jeff Landry indicating the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education had the final say about whether it applied to K-12 classrooms.

In a statement released Sunday night, the board, commonly referred to as BESE, defended their 8-2 decision to adjourn a meeting last week before the mask debate could begin, and said they have no plans to take the issue up again.

“When forced to make that decision last week, we were left with no choice but to prioritize the safety and health of those in the room over citizens who were refusing to follow the law, adhere to basic rules of order – all while putting the health of others at risk,” the board wrote.

BESE defended their 8-2 decision to adjourn a meeting last week before the mask debate could begin, and said they have no plans to take the issue up again.

Recommended For You.

Stacy M. Brown NNPA Newswire Senior National Correspondent Former President Barack Obama declared a family reunion at the White House on
About LA Data News 1512 Articles
Lighting The Road To The Future

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*