Tracee Dundas Fashion Stylist:
True style comes from knowing who you are on the inside (your inner essence) and being able to reflect that on the outside through the clothes you choose to wear. As you evolve, mature, and discover new interest it’s only natural that the same would happen with your fashion choices. However, it is quite easy to get stuck in a style rut and forget what message you are conveying with the fashion style.
It’s been said that you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Studies show that it takes only seven seconds for someone to form an opinion about you. Bear in mind this is solely based on nonverbal communication. The brain makes a thousand computations in lighting speed: Are you approachable? Is what you’re wearing age appropriate? Are you dressed suitable for the occasion (wedding, business meeting, office party)? Are you trustworthy, competent, likeable, or confident?
It’s easy to get comfortable in a routine and lose sight of the fact that how you dress is still a key element that defines who you are. Your life situation may have changed. Maybe your body is not as slender as it once was. Perhaps your taste in clothes have changed. You realize that you will feel a whole lot better if you look better, but somehow you can’t seem to get around achieving it.
Ever see a stylish woman walking down the street and wonder how she manages to look so darn good? A colleague that always shows up for work so well pulled together. Or a friend that seem always to be effortlessly chic? These ladies don’t have the help of a personal fashion stylist. They’ve learned that half the battle of knowing how to dress is being able to identify their fashion DNA!
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO GET A BETTER PERSPECIVE OF YOUR STYLE DNA:
1) What reaction (if any) do you typically get from your fashion styles?
(No reactions, a second look, a big gasp, compliments).
2) What does your current image say about you?
(Confident and classy or outdated and old fashion)
3) Describe your current fashion style in three words? (Be honest)
4) How would your Mother/ Daughter/Sister or BFF describe your fashion style?
(This may be a good time to get their opinion)
5) What colors dominate your wardrobe?
6) Do you preplan what you are going to wear or randomly pull something from your closet?
(Preplanning the night before doesn’t take a lot of effort and gives you extra time in the morning)
7) Do you have a closet full of clothes, but still feel you have nothing to wear?
(Holding on to clothes you’ve outgrown, out-loved, or out-of-style)
8) If something is stained, ripped, too tight or too big, do you wear it anyway and think no one will really notice? (You’re only fooling yourself. . .everyone notices! Remember your appearance is the first thing someone will take note of when meeting you)
9) Does your fashion style reflect your high school years, college years, or maternity years?
(Out with the old and in with the current)
10) When shopping are you focused on sales and bargains and not quality, style and fit?
11) Have you worn the same hair and makeup style for the last 10, 15 or 20 years (yikes)?
(See answer above)
There are no right or wrong answers. It’s about understanding who you are, embracing it and allowing your personality to shine through the fashions you wear. Style is about knowing yourself as well as knowing who you want to portray and building a style that speaks volumes when you walk into a room.
Fashion Stylist: Tracee Dundas | @fashionablyyoursnola PHOTOS COURTSEY OF PINTEREST